Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012 Word

I was sharing with Xavier tonight as I was tucking him in that a few years back, I saw some bloggers I follow talk about their "word for the year", and how CRAZY I thought they were.  I mean, come on?!  Seriously?!  One word?!  UGH.  Ridiculous.
Then last year, I saw it and read their blogs about their "word" and thought, okay, maybe I understand it.  Whatever.
This year, I started thinking, I want a word.  One word that will be my theme for the year.  Yes.  I am going to be one of those CRAZY bloggers.  So I had started thinking about it a couple of days before Christmas.  And I would just go through my day praying and thinking about it.  And a few days ago, I read a verse and I knew that was going to be my word for the year.
KNOW.  That's my word.  Know.  Then today, in church, our Pastor preached out of the same text that I came across the other day.  Philippians 3:10 (well, he used the whole chapter, but that was his theme verse).  That I may KNOW him.  I want to know HIM more this year than I did last year.  And I will admit, shamedly, that I didn't strive to learn more about HIM last year.  I was having a rough year ~ since about August 2010 it had been rough.   But, the fog in my brain and on my heart is starting to clear just a little bit, and I am longing to know this ONE who gave me everything and who gave everything for me.  My theme verses for this year are:
Philippians 3:8-14

More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 
                                 {NASB}

Such powerful words.  Such awesome verses.   Like I said before, we've had some pretty crappy things happen to us in the last year and a half.  But, I decided that I want to put it all behind me.  FORGET what went on back there, stop dwelling in the past {and yes, that may require me to forget some people and let them take their place as simply a memory} and look forward to the promise of the clean slate of a brand new year.  I want to KNOW CHRIST in ways that I haven't before.  I want to know the power of HIS resurrection.  I want to know the fellowship of HIS suffering.  Everything I've went through, HE has been experiencing it with me.  How precious is that?!  

I know I have LOTS to work on this year.  And, there are some things that are just too tender and raw for me right now.  So, instead of working on those things, I decided that I just need to KNOW my Saviour.  I need to KNOW that HE is right here beside me.   I need to KNOW HIM.  And somehow all the rest will just work out.  

And, another way I'm wanting to use KNOW ~ I want to get to KNOW my family in a new way.  I want to get to KNOW my husband in a deeper more intimate way.  I want to get to KNOW my boys and learn better ways in which to train them to be men of God.  I want to get to KNOW so many things.  But for this year, KNOWING my Saviour and my guys is enough.  

So, how about you?!  Do you have a word for this year?!  Or do you think I've joined the rank of the crazies?!  And that's okay because I have ;D !  Would you mind sharing your word?!  I love comments! 

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Nice choice of word Tara! You WILL see a change by concentrating on that one area...promise. It has definitely made a difference in my life. I am sure you thought of this already, but I also made up little 3x5 cards for heavily visited areas in my house....and just put verses or sayings on them to remind me of my word.

I was reading your posts above and boy do we sound similar. I couldn't help but laugh at some of the things you have said...grabted you are just a bit more outspoken. Ha! ;)

My word (although not posted yet} is 'balance'.