Monday, January 23, 2012

Week 4 ~ Gentleness





This week, Courtney ~ at women living well ~ is challenging us to praise our children.  And when you first think about it, you would say ~ Oh, okay, I do that No big deal.  But she isn't just encouraging us to praise our children.  She is encouraging us (using the epitome of the gentle  mother Michelle Duggar) us to not just praise our kids, but to praise our kids 10x's more than we correct them.  Wait. a. MinuteWhat!?  Is that even possible?!  It is something that will take time to get used to doing, but they are right. 

Now the past 3 weeks have been challenging for me.  Jesse's been gone for 2 weeks.  And I have failed more times than I can count, but I can say that I am now more aware of how I speak.  I am even more aware of how I interact with my guys.  And this has been a very much needed challenge.  I don't want to be the kind of mom that when my kids get older they don't remember anything but me yelling.  Me always being angry at them.  Me not handling their mischief properly.  I want to be fun and kind and sweet and gentle.  And no, that doesn't come naturally to me.  But I'm so very glad to have this challenge always at the front of my mind to always remind me to be more gentle. 

So, here's to week number 4.  May I praise my kids so much this week.  And I pray that God will help me find things with which to praise them if they are difficult! 

No comments: