Thursday, January 13, 2011

Chinese Baked Spare Ribs

Can you say ~ yummo?! Now, I usually don't like to eat the ones I cook. LOVED the ones my mother in law made (but, generally, I don't usually like my own cooking anyway). And maybe it is the fact of knowing my mother in law is no longer around to make these, but I loved them today.

Here's the recipe ~ but I changed it a little today so I'll give it to you both ways. The first one is the real recipe ~

1 1/2 -3 lbs country style (boneless) pork ribs
1/4 cup mustard
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp Worcestershire (I never pronounce this right) sauce
2 tsp Tabasco sauce
3 tbsp vinegar

Place ribs in baking dish. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over ribs. Chill for 3 hours covered. Bake for 1 1/2 hours at 350* Baste frequently with sauce in the dish turning ribs once ~ Keep them covered until the last half hour to keep them juicy.

Now, here's how I did it today ~ I basically double the amount of everything, Jesse likes the extra sauce
3 lbs boneless country style pork ribs
1/2 cup mustard
3/4 cup brown sugar dissolved in a 1/4 cup water
1 cup -ish light corn syrup
1/2 cup soy sauce
I eyeballed the next things
4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
4 tsp Frank's red hot
6 tbsp apple cider vinegar.

With the amounts doubled, it pretty much covers the ribs, so I don't bother basting and flipping. And, I didn't let them marinade for as long either (I kinda forgot). The flavor infuses more if you let them marinade over night.

And I made white rice and use the sauce over the white rice. It was yummo! Also, the best place I find my boneless pork ribs is at Aldi's. I love their pork stuff!

3 comments:

Amy said...

That sounds amazing! We got 2 whole pork loins from sams. I might do a pork sirloin roast in this in the crock pot then pull the meat and serve over rice. Thanks girlie!

Kris Hughes said...

Oh-I am sooo making these!

Unknown said...

I always double the sauce too. And YES! Aldi's is the best palce for the ribs! Seth MUST have these with mashed potatoes. I think this is one of only two ways I actually like pork.