Friday, February 26, 2010

As I assume.......

most of my readers are mostly women, and mostly moms.

So, this kinda goes along with my last post ~

What is the one verse you find yourself quoting to your children the most? And what is the verse you cling to as a mom?

The first question is an easy one for me ~
Ephesians 4:32
And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

I find too often that kids can just plain be MEAN. And it is a verse I often find myself quoting to remind me to be kind to my little guys. It's one of the first verses that the guys memorize.
There are so many parts to it ~ it emphasizes I think all aspects of life ~ Doing good and being kind to others, keeping your heart soft and open, no matter what, forgiving when others have wronged you, and in brief outlines salvation. The way I explain that to my little men is that God models this behaviour to uss all. But HE doesn't have to. And HE doesn't do it for us or because of who we are or how we live. HE is kind, tenderhearted and forgiving because of Christ's sacrifice on the cross. And if God can forgive us for having caused Christ's death, then why can't we forgive our friend for saying something mean to us, and continuing to be kind and not say mean things back. I love this verse for little ones. But I also love it for me in every aspect of my life. But it is a HARD verse to live!

The next verse that I cling to as a mom is a little more difficult to pinpoint. But, I like I Thes. 5:24
Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

I will be the first and the fastest to admit that I am not the best mom out there. I don't think I would even qualify myself as a good mom. I'm okay, and that's all I will admit to. My kids, claim different, but they don't see all my faults. and they are kids after all!!!!!!!!!
But, I believe with all my heart that being a mom (I say especially to little boys, but in no way belittling mothering girls!) is a pretty tough job. But I further believe that being a true God-fearing Christian mom, is even tougher. And I see it as a calling. And when I get discouraged about how horrible of a mom I am and can't understand why God, in HIS infinite wisdom and judgement, allowed 3 sweet little souls to entrusted to MY care, this verse speaks to me. HE never gives us more than we can handle. And as long as I look to HIM for wisdom, mercy and grace, HE will be faithful to keep me going on. HE's the one who knows who I am that NOBODY else knows and what I can and can't handle. HE's faithful and HE will do it ~ if I let HIM work through me, HE will be the one that raises my children. I'm just the tool. I'm just the vessel.
And I'll admit, sometimes ~ a lot of times ~ I forget that and try to do everything on my own and that is when I get discouraged and downhearted and don't feel worthy of these sweet little beings. And then I come across this verse (or the many like it in the Bible) and get refreshed and renewed knowing that HE called me to be my 3 guys' mom and that HE will do it through me!

So...................... what are you're verses?


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Eph. 4:32 is probably the one I quote to Maddie to most, or "He that hath friends must show himself friendly" since she is a sitnker about ebing friendly. For myself I always think of "A child left to himself bringeth shame." to remind myself that when they do wrong it's because they were left to themself... I wasn't there to teach them better. (Because I was on facebook!) I also think of "Foolishness is bound in the ehart of a child but the rod of correction driveth it far from him" I am just quoting by memory so hopefully they are right. I don't say this to get pump of for chatisement but to just remind myself that children are foolish and Ishould not be surprised when my kids demonstrate that fact. I should expect it and be prepared to deal with it. It just helps take the "you're doing that bad thing AGAIN!!!" out of my attitude.

I'm enjoying these recent posts. I'm still contemplating a marraiage verse to claim for us. Something about longsuffering should fit! NO NO I'm just kidding!!!!!!11

Kris Hughes said...

The most quoted verse in the Hughes Home is Phil. 2:14 Do everything without complaining and arguing!